The solar battery storage system is an excellent addition to any solar panel installation. The batteries help store the solar power, thus allowing you to draw on that power during an outage. This means that even if your solar panels are not producing electricity at the time of the outage, you will still have power for lighting, cooking, and other essential tasks in your home or business.
“The United States electric grid is among the most vulnerable in the world to a cyber attack.”– Wall Street Journal
What is Solar Battery Storage?
Solar Battery Storage is designed to power your home during a power outage. The batteries are connected, and they can charge with solar panels or when electricity is on.
Solar battery storage has advantages over traditional generator systems because they do not emit harmful greenhouse gases like propane, natural gas, or diesel generators. They also require less maintenance and the solar panels make them energy efficient. They can completely replace traditional electricity usage if off-grid.
Depending on your home consumption habits, solar batteries can power your entire home. A solar battery provides backup for all of your appliances and more if you have enough solar storage capacity to meet your needs.
How To Use Solar Battery Storage
Home battery storage plus solar panels have three ways to use solar power:
– Grid-Tie (without batteries) – Your solar panels will feed the excess energy directly to your home or business’s Electric Grid. You can draw from it when required, but you cannot store solar electricity for future use. If configured correctly, this is an excellent option if you have a time-of-use billing because solar homes do not pay high peak rates.
– Grid-Tie with Batteries (with solar panels) – You can draw from solar batteries to power your appliances even when the solar panels are not producing solar electricity or during a grid outage. This is an excellent option for homes wanting 100% backup and time-of-use billing benefits because they will be drawing peak kWhs during on-peak hours.
– Off-Grid (with solar panels) – The solar battery storage system is used with solar panels during a power outage, giving you the ability to use stored energy from batteries instead of drawing from Grid electricity for lights and appliances when needed. Especially useful if your home or business does not have access to any other source of electricity or during a power outage.
You can also use solar batteries for home energy storage even if you are not on solar panels, but most solar companies recommend solar electricity with battery backup. The homeowner may not take advantage of the tax credit or any solar incentives because they are not on solar panels.
The Benefits Of Battery Storage
Besides having more power to use during a power outage, solar batteries can also:
Home battery storage and solar panels will help reduce peak demand charges from the utility company, which make up to half of some homeowners’ electric bills in some states.
– Those who care about climate change and greenhouse gas emissions will be happy to know that solar batteries do not emit harmful gases like fossil fuel generators do.
– Solar battery storage systems are modular, which means you can start with a small system depending on your solar panel size or budget. You can always add more solar panels and solar batteries later as needed without upgrading the entire solar system.
– Battery storage solar systems require less maintenance than traditional solar or generator backup power options because batteries do not have any moving parts or regular maintenance requirements.
– Solar batteries are an investment that will pay for itself within a few years because solar battery storage with the ability not to send excess solar electricity to the Grid will reduce solar installation costs.
– Solar batteries are very quiet and do not produce any emissions or waste materials during use.
– Homeowners with solar panels can still take advantage of net metering if they have solar battery storage installed, even when their solar panel system is providing all of their household’s power needs
Drawbacks Of Battery Storage
The biggest drawback to solar battery storage is the cost. Whether solar batteries are worth it or not depends on your electricity rates, usage patterns, and solar panel system size. Depending on these factors, solar companies charge anywhere from $10,000 to $40,000 for home solar battery systems.
– If you have a limited budget and cannot afford solar panels with a solar battery, the start-up costs will not be worth it.
– The technology is changing rapidly, solar batteries are evolving every year with innovations, and the warranty is only suitable for a certain amount of time.
– These battery systems are best installed by solar professionals who know the solar battery technology; installation is very different for each solar company.
– Solar batteries are not made to last forever and will need replacement in about ten years, depending on use.
The benefits of solar storage outweigh most drawbacks if you want 100% renewable energy with an emergency backup power source, but always weigh all your options before purchasing.
Who Should Get A Solar Battery Storage System?
The application of a solar storage system is best suited for those with solar panels that generate more power than they can use during the day. This extra generated power is being sent to the Grid for others to use. Solar batteries can store this extra power until it is needed.
– Solar battery storage makes the most sense in states that have the time-of-use electricity rates where solar panels are paid less at times when solar generation is high and more during peak demand hours between noon and mid-afternoon.
Those who have larger solar panels than their solar panel power needs or those who want to expand solar later will benefit from a solar storage system.
– Homeowners with electric cars, allowing them to store the sun’s energy for use during dark hours and future long road trips, can also greatly benefit from this renewable energy technology.
– If having the power on at all times is critical for your business operations. In addition, for those with critical medical devices or security systems that require electricity, 24/7 solar storage is a great way to make sure you are never without power.
Questions To Ask Before Installing A Solar Power System With Battery Storage
Is solar battery storage the right solution for your home or business? A solar power system with battery storage is an excellent option for homeowners and businesses, but not always the best choice.
The top questions before purchasing a solar power system with battery storage are listed below.
- What’s being powered? – The solar power system will store electricity for appliances, electronics, or the entire home. The size of a solar panel battery storage unit is directly related to how much energy you need and use during an outage.
- Is solar battery storage the right solution for your home or business? – Solar power system with battery storage is an excellent option for homeowners and businesses, but it may not be the best choice.
- The expense of this technology is steep. Is it within your budget?- Solar battery storage is a more recent gadget with a higher price tag. Depending on your energy consumption and financial limitations, solar batteries may be costly.
Solar battery storage has become an increasingly popular choice for homeowners and businesses who want to go solar. If you’re considering installing a battery system, here are some questions to ask yourself before jumping in. Is having maintenance-free backup power critical to my needs? How often do I think my electricity will be disrupted (e.g., storms)? How much solar generation will I need to install? What kind of solar battery storage fits my budget?
Solar panels with storage make a great alternative energy source, great to reduce your carbon footprint, but solar batteries may not be the best choice.
Thoughts on solar panels with storage? Comment below