Who doesn’t love planning their day around, whether it’s going to rain?
And if you’re an RVer, then that obsession is heightened because your home on wheels is so vulnerable to severe weather.
A weather station for RV units is such a crucial piece of gear. Not only do they tell you what the temperature and humidity are like inside and outside your RV, but many of them also come with forecasts, alerts, and even lightning tracking!
But with so many models available, which one should you choose? We’ve done the testing for you and found the 5 best RV weather stations available today.
How Does A Weather Station For RV Work?
An RV weather station is a specialized type of weather station that is designed specifically to handle the elements.
- Weather stations typically include
- a wireless indoor-outdoor thermometer to measure air temperature,
- a hygrometer to measure humidity, a barometer to measure atmospheric pressure,
- an anemometer to measure wind speed,
- and a rain gauge to measure precipitation.
Some weather stations may also include additional instruments to measure other meteorological conditions, such as
How Weather Station Shows Data –
- The weather data is collected and transmitted to a central location (home weather station’s base), where it is uploaded to a site like Weather Underground
- Weather forecasts are based on computer models that use sensors’ data to predict the atmosphere’s future state.
- The accuracy of weather forecasts depends on the data collected by the stations to provide weather forecast 12 hours predictions.
Features Of An Wireless RV Weather Station
Here are 3 key reasons to get a weather investment for your RV –
1. Accurate Real-Time Real-Time Weather Conditions
This information can help you make better weather predictions about when to travel, what route to take, and what activities to avoid.
This is especially important if you are planning to visit areas with potentially dangerous weather conditions like thunderstorms, floods, or high winds.
2. Advance Warnings Of Extreme Weather Events
Second, a weather station can help you be more prepared for extreme weather conditions by giving you a warning of approaching storms.
This way, you can make sure that it properly secured your RV and that any outdoor furniture or equipment stored away safely.
3. Equipped Sensors For Other Environmental Factors
Most weather stations can also monitor other weather factors like temperature, barometric pressure, and humidity.
This information can be very useful in helping you to regulate the interior environment of your RV, ensuring that it is comfortable for both you and your family.
Whether you are a full-time RVer or just enjoy spending time on the road in your recreational vehicle, a weather station can be a valuable addition to your RVing gear.
What Are The Different Types Of RV Weather Stations?
There are a variety of different RV weather stations available on the market, each of which offers its own set of features and benefits.
Here is a look at some of the most popular types of RV weather stations:
1. Handheld Weather Stations
These types of weather stations are small, portable, and easy to use.
They typically include a variety of different probes that can measure things like indoor and outdoor temperature, humidity, wind chill, and barometric pressure.
Some handheld weather stations also include features like sunrise/sunset times, moon phases, and tide tables.
2. Tabletop Weather Stations
As the name suggests, they designed these types of weather stations to be placed on a table or other flat surfaces.
They typically include all the same features as handheld units, but they may also include additional features like maps, alarms, and predictions.
3. Vehicle-Mounted Weather Stations
They designed these types of weather stations to be mounted on the outside of an RV. You’ll want to mount it on a sturdy pole at optimal height above the ground.
They typically include all the same features as handheld and tabletop units, but they may also include additional features like GPS tracking, two-way radios, and satellite receivers.
4. Wireless Weather Stations
These types of weather stations offer the benefit of being able to transmit data wirelessly to a central location. This can be helpful for RVs that are frequently on the move.
Wireless transmission stations typically include all the same features as other types of weather stations, but they may also include additional features like the ability to connect to the internet or a mobile device.
No matter what type of RV weather station you choose, it is important to make sure that it includes the features that are most important to you.
How To Choose The Best RV Digital Weather Station For Your Needs?
There is no one-size-fits-all solution with weather stations, so it is important to find one that meets your specific needs.
Here are some tips to help you choose the right weather station for your RV:
1. Display Type
One of the most important things to consider when choosing a weather station for an RV is the type of display.
There are three main types of displays: LCD, LED, and OLED. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to choose the right one for your needs.
Some weather stations are very small and easily mounted on a window, while others are larger and require a more permanent installation. Consider the space you have available before making your purchase.
3. Battery Life
Some weather stations can run for days on a single charge, while others need to be plugged into an outlet.
If you plan on using your RV weather station for long periods of time, it is important to choose one with long battery power.
The price of an RV weather station can vary widely, so it is important to set a budget before shopping.
Compare prices from different retailers and choose the unit that fits your needs and budget.
Some units come with basic features like outdoor temperature and humidity readings, while others include more advanced features like barometric pressure, wind direction, and rainfall measurement. Choose the unit that has the features you need.
Be sure to check the warranty before making your purchase.
Some weather stations come with a limited warranty, while others have a full warranty. Choose the unit that offers the coverage you need in case something goes wrong.
By following these tips to find the right RV weather station for your needs. Be sure to compare prices and features before making your final purchase.
5 Top Popular RV Weather Stations
There are many types of weather stations on the market these days, but not all of them are equal. Some have more accurate readings than others, and some are more user-friendly.
- LCD Display
- Easy to Install Sensor Osprey
- Wireless Sensors
- Internet Connection with Weather Networks
- Solar Powered Backup Battery
- Both Indoor and Outdoor Temperatures
- Weather Forecast
- 300' line of sight RF
- Limited by walls, metal, the distance of sensors
- Internet drops
- Highly accurate: Thermopro tp62 indoor outdoor thermometer hygrometer features a premium temperature humidity gauge that provides accurate readings for both inside outside humidity and temperature simultaneously; accurate to ±2°f and ±2 to 3%rh
- Indoor outdoor temperature and humidity are transmitted from a distance of 200 feet (60 meters) by a wireless weather thermometer; To check various locations, sync up to three outdoor remote sensors to monitor multiple areas.
- This thermometer has a large backlit display that is easy to read, even in dim light conditions. The display is touch-sensitive, and the backlight is activated when you touch the frame. This thermometer runs on aaa batteries.
- This gadget displays the inside and outside temperatures and hourly/24-hour maximum and minimum records. You will always be aware of current climate conditions this way.
- User-friendly: The thermometer has three front-facing buttons rather than needing to take the gadget off the wall or refrigerator to modify settings; and with the tabletop stand, wall-mountable, and magnetic back design, you may place it anywhere.
- Large easy-to-read
- Backlit display
- Multiple locations for sensor
A Wireless Color LCD Station from Averatec, a La Crosse Technology company, is a real-time unit with reading rate temperature readings. The changing barometric pressure symbol is reflected in animated color forecasts that respond to shifting atmospheric pressure.
The display is big and bright, with an easy-to-read color scheme and adjustable brightness. You may keep track of in/out temperatures and humidity by day with daily minimum/maximum records—all on one easy-to-read color screen with customizable brightness.
- Dynamic forecast icons show whether the weather will get better or worse. Arrows indicate the trend.
- You can set temperature and humidity alerts to let you know when the conditions are not ideal in your home.
- The comfort level color bar refers to a scale of colors used to indicate the amount of comfort a person feels in different environments.
- Sensor dimension: 1.57 L x 0.79 W x 5.12 H inches
- This clock can automatically set the time and date using atomic time. It can also reset daylight savings time (on/off optional).
- Provides accurate readings
- It has an all-in-one designed outdoor sensor
- The indoor unit tracks barometric pressure
- Setup system in less than 20
- Advanced technology
- Installation parameters are tricky
- The display is too bright at night
The Ambient Weather WS-2000 is a complete weather station that includes an air quality sensor, UV sensor, and solar radiation sensor. It also has an indoor temperature and humidity sensor. The WS-2000 uses WiFi to connect to the internet and upload data to AmbientWeather.net. In addition, the website provides historical data graphing so that you can see trends over time.
The WS-2000 also supports data export to Weather Underground so that you can share your data with the world. It is a dependable greenhouse thermometer for temperature accuracy in terms of indoor and outdoor use.
- Connects to the internet using WiFi
- Uploads data to AmbientWeather.net
- Supports data export to Weather Underground
- Accurate readings for temperature and humidity
- A little pricey for a quality unit
The Newentor Wireless Weather Station is a nifty gadget to have around. You can even use it as an alarm clock with a calendar, time, and snooze features.
What we love most about this weather station is that it has a 3-channel temperature and humidity thermometer, so you can monitor the outdoor conditions even when you're inside.
It also calculates the weather forecast for the next 8 hours based on weather-related variables. This makes it a very accurate personal forecast for your location.
The Newentor Weather Station is also very versatile. It has two power modes (DC adapter or 2* AA batteries) and a brightness-adjustable backlight. It's great for indoor and outdoor use, making it the perfect weather thermometer for an RV.
- Comes with a 7.5" LCD screen
- Time/date, alarm clock/snooze, weather forecast, and more
- 3-channel temperature and humidity thermometer that supports up to 3 wireless outdoor sensors
- Calculates the weather forecast for the next 8 hours
- Versatile; comes with two power modes and a brightness-adjustable backlight
- Great for both indoor and outdoor use
- Weather station's screen is not bright enough
- Some find the readings inaccurate
Install A Digital Weather Station In Your RV For Accurate Forecasts!
RV weather stations are a great way to keep you and your family safe while on the road. They provide real-time information about the current weather conditions so that you can make better decisions about whether to stay on the road, pull over, or find shelter.
RV weather stations come in a variety of sizes and styles, so it’s important to do your research before purchasing one to ensure that you get the right one for your needs.
Conclusion & My Weather Station Recommendations
Ambient Weather WS-2902 WiFi Smart Weather Station is our Editor’s Choice for the best RV weather station because it has all the features that campers need to make well-informed decisions about their outdoor activities. If you will be in one or two spots full-timing, then this is a good choice.
Our top pick for the Best Indoor Outdoor Thermometer for an RV is the Newentor Weather Station. It has everything you need to stay informed about current conditions and predict weather patterns, plus it’s easy to set up and use.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, we recommend the ThermoPro TP62. It doesn’t have as many bells and whistles as some of the other options, but it gets the job done without breaking the bank.
La Crosse Technology C85845-INT Weather Station is our top pick if accuracy is your number one concern – it’s one of the most accurate weather stations on the market.
And if you want a weather station that can be monitored remotely, the AcuRite Iris (5-in-1) Wireless Station is an excellent option.
So whatever your needs may be, there is definitely a weather station out there that will meet them!
What is the top weather station for an RV?
Currently, Newentor Weather Station is one of the most popular options in the market. It is accurate, reliable, and easy to set up and use. It only monitors a few weather parameters.
What is the best portable weather station?
The best portable weather station is the ThermoPro TP62. It is small, lightweight, and easy to carry with you on the go. The drawback is it only measures temperature and humidity.
Where should a weather station sensor be placed?
The best place to put a weather station sensor is in a location that is free from obstructions that could block the view of the sky.
Do you need WIFI for a weather station?
You do not need WIFI for a weather station, but it can be helpful if you want to be able to access your data from anywhere.
Is it worth having a weather station?
It is worth having a weather station if you want to track the weather conditions in your area so that you can plan accordingly.
Are La Crosse weather stations good?
We consider la Crosse weather stations to be a mid-range station, but one of the best on the market. They are accurate, reliable, and easy to use. Davis makes a high-end station for hobbyists or professionals.
How does a wireless weather station work?
A wireless sensor station works by sending data wirelessly from the sensor to the display unit. The display unit then displays the data for you to see.
How long should a weather station last?
A weather station should last for many years properly maintained. Regular battery changes and cleaning will yield years of service.
How long do batteries last in a weather station?
The batteries in a weather station will last for about a year with normal use.